Monday 18 November 2013

A distressing situation. Chee-Chee Part 6


It felt as though I'd become totally bogged down and uninspired when I was painting Chee-Chee's gun arm so I moved on to the big mecha arm with some trepidation. As it turns out my fears were without foundation and painting the mecha arm has been a pleasure and restored all my enthusiasm for this mini!

I've already had a lot of fun painting different NMM effects on Chee-Chee and the big mecha arm is giving me the opportunity to push things further and experiment with painting some damaged and distressed surfaces. With the exception of a bit of verdigris it's the first time I've attempted anything like this as I've been very focused on getting a clean smooth finish on all my recent projects. So far so good and it feels like the paint job is beginning to come together as a whole and give a unified feel to the mini without everything all looking the same.

For the most part this is down to the use of a fairly restricted colour palette. Just a couple of key colours are used for the highlights & shading and this helps to tie everything together. The palette has many similarities with those used on both the Tomb King & Scourge earlier this year so I'm glad that I chose to paint the Skink Priest in-between those projects and Chee-Chee. Switching between a saturated and more muted palette helps to keep things fresh it also stops me slipping into 'auto pilot' mode and just doing more of the same out of habit.




2 comments:

  1. The sky-earth in th ecopper parts of the shoulder is a really nice idea. The contrast between the WWII-vibe of the gun arm and the "portal" vibe of the mechanical arm works a treat too.
    Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome.
    Sorry to hear that the gun arm is a pain, but it looks really good too. I don't see the frustration coming out in the paint at all! Glad to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete