Monday 14 October 2013

Painting Chee-Chee. Chee-Chee Part 3


With the Golden Demon painting frenzy over & done I can finally turn my attention to painting Chee-Chee from Infamy Miniatures.

The delay in starting gave me plenty of time to do a little research and come to some decisions about how I want to paint him. It would have been easy to go in with a black base coat and dry brush all that fur but this felt like the wrong way to go about it. Instead I've chosen a light/mid tone base colour that gives me room to go both darker & lighter in the early stages of painting. I also want to try and get a bit of colour into the mini and decided to keep my use of black to a minimum.  

Having looked a few gorilla pictures I could see that I was going to have to go very dark with the paint job. By making Chee-Chee a silver back I had a way of breaking up all that black fur and this will also be more interesting for me to paint. Something else I discovered is that some gorillas have red/orange colouring on their head. This will be another way of introducing colour and have the added benefit of drawing attention to the head/face. 

I started off with washes & glazes and gradually built up the intensity and definition. I'm using Vallejo Dark Sea Blue as my shade colour and it seems to be working out quite well. It also leaves me with the opportunity to go darker in selected areas if I need to. In addition to this I'm using a touch of purple to shade the flesh tones and this together with the red & orange tones used else where brings a lot more interest to the colour palette.

It's still early days and things will probably change as the paint job comes together but it feels like a good start. I think this is going to be a really enjoyable project. After all what's not to like about a giant, mutated, cyborg gorilla!








No comments:

Post a Comment