Monday 9 September 2013

Skink Priest - part 3

I'm two weeks into painting my skink and things seem to be going well. I've never tried to paint a mini in such a short time before & I still have no idea if I can really pull it off but it feels like I'm on track for GDUK.

Painting the skink is turning into quite a different experience for me. I usually take a lot more time to plan everything out and then proceed at a gentle pace, carefully considering each step before I make it. This time around I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants. Much to my own surprise I'm really enjoying painting this mini!

Something else that's very different for me is the way I'm going about the painting. I would normally work each area up to it's finished state before moving on to the next. But this time I'm moving back and forwards between the areas as I work on them. This gives me a bit of extra flexibility to adjust things as I develop my ideas for the colour palette. I'm beginning to think that this mini may have quite an impact on how I paint in the future.










7 comments:

  1. Great work so far, and loving how this is evolving your painting also! Great to see the result of this,and how it will impact you going forward also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy God that is beautiful. I used to do the same as you and found that being able to bring things up and tweak as I go really helps. Again: really, REALLY top notch stuff for such a short turn around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great miniature and you are doing a stellar job on it. I have seen this miniature banded about by other painters and yours is the best by far.

    I cannot wait to see this finished. Thansk for the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome painting! Everything is so sharp and smooth.
    Question: Are you placing your base coats directly onto the plastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jf!
      Yes I paint my base coats straight onto the plastic. I don't use a primer.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the answer!
    I hope you do a video tutorial one day. I'd love to see your process from thinning to application in real time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something I'd like have a go at one day although watching my painting in 'real time' may take a lot of patience!

      Delete